Wednesday, September 16, 2015

It's Complicated Chapter 1

So in our reading from its complicated, the first chapter "why do teens seem strange online?" was pretty impactful for me.  The story about the application to an Ivy league school from a teen who was coming from such a horrible background and how impressed they were but then.. they find his online profiles. When they were talking about how maybe he was doing it to keep himself safe, it brought up many feelings for me. Its awful that a child would need to do something like that to keep himself safe, but the fact that someone was trying to justify his actions was, in a way, comforting. All we hear is "be careful what you put online, nothing is private, its on the web FOREVER." And this is all true. BUT, finally someone who is thinking something besides "oh this silly teen didn't think he would get caught in a lie".  
I think we all have to be a little more honest with ourselves because everyone is going to say something that might not be completely true to get themselves in a better position. Im not saying this is right or wrong, I'm just saying that its going to happen.  
Everything is online now. EVERYTHING!  It's a learning process for people. We can be someone completely different then who we are in real life. We can find people who have exactly the same interest and hobbies and dislikes as us. How cool? But like I said earlier, its always about "be careful what you put online, nothing is private, its on the web FOREVER." We get it, I mean at least most of us do.  
I think its still a learning process on the do's and dont's of the interweb still.  
I don't know if anyone else does this but I get updates from Facebook that show me what I posted like 5 years ago on a certain day, and sometimes its quite embarrassing. Im sure in 5 more years I will think the same thing about what I am posting now. But like I said, Im learning.  We all are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment